Individual Counseling and Therapy in NYC
The decision to start Individual Therapy is a big step and I understand that it is both liberating and frightening. If this is your first time, you may be afraid of the unknown or feel a sense of failure at being unable to "solve your own problems". If you have had previous experience with therapy and it was unsuccessful or if you had mixed results, you may feel ambivalent. These feelings are very common and understandable and we can address your concerns as we begin.
Whatever services you are looking for or need, when you are ready, all you need to do is contact me by phone or email.
My Approach to Individual Therapy
In the first few session we will begin by getting to know each other and exploring what brings you to therapy at this particular time. I will ask many questions so I can understand your history as well as the history of current difficulties and get to the root causes of what is causing your pain and where you may be stuck. Therapy will proceed at the pace with which you are comfortable. Counseling is a collaboration which evolves at your individual pace, in an atmosphere of safety, trust, connection and collaboration.
Much of our work together is going to involve an examination of important past and present relationships and their effect on your character formation, world view, coping mechanisms and self-esteem. My experience over many years of practice, has taught me that deepest causes of pain are related to or caused by disruptions in intimacy (trauma), separations, abandonment, instabilities and attachment issues throughout life.
My approach is solution focused, always having in mind symptoms or problems as well as goals you want to achieve and solutions you want to find which is what brings you to counseling at this time.
In Therapy We'll Utilize Several Modalities
I am trained and have extensive experience in:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: A psychotherapeutic approach that aims to solve problems concerning dysfunctional emotions, behaviors and cognitions through a goal-oriented, systematic procedure.
- Eve Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR): A form of psychotherapy that was developed to resolve symptoms resulting from disturbing and unresolved life experiences. It uses a structured approach to address past, present, and future aspects of disturbing memories.
- Psychodynamic Therapy: A form of depth psychology, the primary focus of which is to reveal the unconscious content of a client's psyche in an effort to alleviate psychic tension
- Reasons To Start Therapy
- Sadness, depression
- Fear, anxiety, panic
- Difficulties with relationships
- Stress and or conflict at home or work
- Going through a difficult transition
- Feeling badly about your life situation
- Abusing food, alcohol or drugs to help cope
- Isolation, inability or unwillingness to talk to family or friends
- Spending more and more time in front of a computor
- Patient Testimonial
I have been a client of Irina's since 2006. Working with her has changed my life. I started therapy in the midst of a separation, out of a dysfunctional marriage, not understanding my choices in men and my behavior in relationships, as well as dealing with major self esteem issues. My work with Irina has led to a complete and total revolution in the way that I think about the world, it has inspired me to continue to self-improve and evolve. With Irina's help, I was able to break my pattern of making bad choices in men and being an unhealthy partner. read more »